Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lauki Halwa

Diwali 2012



Over the weekend, I made a few sweets for Diwali. Lauki halwa was one of the sweet dishes I made for our small Diwali celebration that I hadn’t made before. Since it turned out pretty well, I’m making a note of the recipe here.

Ingredients:

  • 1 big bottle gourd/lauki, about 5 cups, peeled, grated, and excess water removed
  • Ghee/clarified butter- 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
  • ¼ cup cashewnuts
  • A handful of raisins (I used dried cranberries since I realized at the last possible moment that I was all out of raisins!)
  • ½ -3/4   cup sugar (adjust according to taste)
  • ½ tsp cardamom powder

 Method:

In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp ghee over medium-high heat. Add the cashews and raisins and fry the cashews till they are lightly browned and the raisins plump up a bit. Set aside.

In the same pan add 2 more Tbsp ghee and add the grated bottle gourd. Cook for 10-15 minutes till all the water evaporates.

Add the sugar, mix well and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or so till the sugar melts and the mixture comes together. Add the cardamom powder, raisins and cashews. 

Cook, stirring constantly till the mixture is almost dry. Serve hot or cold.




Lauki halwa1

0 Burps:

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.